Botox is a popular cosmetic procedure that can ‘erase’ wrinkles to restore your youthful look. But just like any other non-invasive treatment, it’s not an overnight solution. Your Botox results may take days – and weeks – before you see its full effects.
So how long does Botox take to work? There’s no basic formula to answer this since every person reacts to Botox differently. But to help you understand how long until Botox works, we’ve discussed a short guide below.
Does Botox work right away?
Let’s get one thing straight – Botox does not work instantly. You won’t walk out of your appointment with instantly smooth skin and all your wrinkles are gone.
Overall, it takes Botox some time to fully take effect. Part of it is because aestheticians use small dosages to make the results as naturally looking as possible. Also, your body needs time to react to the substance to unleash its full effects.
For us to understand how long for Botox to kick in, let us briefly explain the action of this treatment.
Botox injections are made up of a substance called botulinum toxin. While it’s technically called a ‘toxin’, it’s totally safe for localized use under the expertise of a licensed professional.
When injected, Botox will start to block nerve signals from your muscles. However, this doesn’t happen in a split second or a few minutes. It can take weeks for your muscles to fully react to the substance.
So if you’re not seeing any major changes in your injected area, don’t fret. This is totally normal and you’ll start seeing results in a matter of days to weeks. Besides, the results are worth the wait!
How long does it take for Botox to work?
The timeline for when the Botox kicks in varies from person to person. But in general, you can expect this progress during the course of the post-treatment period:
- Immediately after the injection. Right after your Botox injection, the effects you’ll usually are redness and swelling in the treated area. Don’t worry because this is completely normal and resolve on its own in a few hours. You can apply a cool ice pack to the area to help ease the discomfort.
- After one day. By this time, the swelling and redness should have subsided. If not, you should call your aesthetician for a consultation. Although you may start to see Botox working after 1 day, it’s often just a slight reduction in your wrinkles.
- After one week. A week after your Botox treatment, you’ll see more improvements in your treated area. You’ll see creases starting to lighten and your wrinkles starting to relax even more. Still, at this point, you’re yet to see the full effects of Botox.
- After two weeks. By the two-week mark, you’ll see more significant improvements in the appearance of your wrinkles and fine lines. Your skin will appear tighter and you’ll also notice your complexion looking better.
- After one month. At this stage, most people will see the full effects of Botox. Your wrinkles will be fully relaxed and your skin will appear smoother. However, depending on some factors, other people may take longer than one month to see the full results.
Factors affecting how long for Botox to work
How long does Botox take to kick in, you ask? To be specific, it depends on various factors. Here are some of the aspects you should consider to understand how fast Botox can work for you:
- Muscle strength. First, the strength of your facial muscles will directly affect the efficiency of Botox. For example, if you got Botox for forehead wrinkles but your muscles are strong, the effects will take longer to show up. Not just that, you’ll likely need more units to relax your facial muscles fully.
- Metabolism. How fast your body metabolizes Botox will also affect how fast and how long it will take effect. Usually, those with a fast metabolism may see faster yet short-lived results. On the other hand, those with slow metabolism may need to wait more for results but enjoy it longer as well.
- Dosage. You also have to factor in how many Botox units you have. This is always determined by your aesthetician based on your desired results, treatment area, and your overall health. For the most part, very little Botox dosage will not deliver drastic effects. You may need further sessions to achieve the youthful look that you like.
- Skin condition. Your skin condition during the treatment will also impact how fast you’ll get results from Botox. If your skin is dehydrated and damaged, then it may take longer for you to get your desired outcome. This is why maintaining a good skincare routine is necessary if you want to get the most out of this treatment.
- Age. Your age is also a defining factor when it comes to your Botox results timeline. Usually, younger people see faster results since they have a faster metabolism and more elastic skin.
Why does Botox take so long to work for some?
It’s common for us to compare our results to other people when getting cosmetic procedures. At some point, you probably wondered, how come others get Botox results faster than I do?
As we’ve mentioned at the beginning, Botox kicks in different rates for every person. That’s usually because of the following:
- Individual differences. Even though other people get faster results, it doesn’t mean it will be the same for you. Each body is unique and it’s totally normal if yours needs more time to fully react to Botox.
- Muscle resistance. In some cases, your muscles may have more resistance to the effects of Botox. When this happens, you’ll have to wait longer to see the results or require further injections.
- Treatment history. If you’ve had Botox injections before, it’s possible that you’ll see faster results. Some believe that regular Botox treatments can help train the muscles to relax easily. So if you’re always getting touch-ups, then your body may react faster to the substance. But then again, this result is more anecdotal.
- Underlying medical conditions. Some medical conditions can also affect your Botox treatment. For example, autoimmune diseases may slow down or interfere with Botox’s effects. Also, nerve damage near or at the treatment area can also affect your muscle’s response to Botox.
How to make your Botox results kick in faster?
Although the Botox peak effect varies per person, there are some ways you can do to speed up its results. Here are some tips that you can try. Feel free to consult your aesthetician for more!
- Follow post-treatment instructions. It’s very important that you follow all the instructions of your injector. This way, you can prevent harsh side effects and maximize the speed by which Botox works on your treated area. Some of these instructions include avoiding rigorous exercise or touching the treatment area too much.
- Stay hydrated. Proper hydration is crucial in the faster absorption of Botox into your muscles. Also, it will keep your skin plump and soft, which will complement the benefits of your Botox treatment.
- Be consistent with treatments. Botox isn’t a one-time thing. You have to get touch-ups or finish a treatment plan to get the ultimate results. For example, if you received Botox for crow’s feet, you need maintenance injections to prevent the creases from coming back.
- Consider combination treatments. If you want to look younger even more, you should consider pairing Botox with other treatments. Many people also explore facial fillers to restore volume to their face while lightening wrinkles with Botox. Overall, your aesthetician will advise about the safety and efficacy of these combination treatments.
- Healthy lifestyle habits. You can get the best Botox treatment, but it will not yield excellent results if you’re not leading a healthy lifestyle. Overall, you should avoid smoking and excessive drinking. Also, you should clock in enough sleep and manage your stress levels to prevent further damage to your skin.
Do you want the best results from Botox?
Overall, Botox is effective in reducing wrinkles, but you need to wait for the results to show. It usually takes days to several weeks for your muscles to fully react to this treatment.
Patience is key when it comes to achieving a younger look. If you want to get the best results on your Botox treatments, don’t hesitate to contact us at Pure Skin Laser Center. Our licensed Botox injectors will create a custom plan to achieve your desired results!