Is Botox not enough to hide your wrinkles? Don’t worry, we have another beauty hack: dermal fillers.
Over the years, dermal fillers have become insanely popular not just for Hollywood celebrities, but also for common people who want to boost their appearance. True enough, various dermal filler products have surfaced, including the widely used Juvederm filler.
One common question we get is this: How long does Juvederm work? In this post, we’ll answer this question together with more tips to make dermal fillers work best for you. So keep reading!
What is Juvederm?
Juvederm is a brand of dermal filler, typically used to boost a person’s facial features. You can also get this to lighten static wrinkles and other signs of aging.
In terms of components, Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler. It has a gel-like consistency that conforms to the movements of your face.
The good thing about hyaluronic acid-based (HA) fillers is that HA is already present in the human body in small amounts. This means it’s relatively safer than synthetic fillers you can find in the market.
Aside from hyaluronic acid has a hydrating effect that will make the skin on the treated area plump. In fact, you can find this substance as a major ingredient in various skincare products.
So how does it work? With Juvederm, the filler will be injected into your target areas. Most of our clients get this to fill fine lines throughout the face, enhance their lips, and restore their cheek volume. Each of these areas requires a specific dosage, which is measured by milliliters (ml).
Is Botox not enough?
Usually, when we talk about wrinkle removal, the first thing to come to mind is Botox. This is not surprising since Botox is one of the – if not the most – popular cosmetic procedures in the world. It’s so popular that in 2020 alone, over 4.4 million treatments were done worldwide.
But if that’s the case, why do some people go for facial filler services?
It all boils down to the type of wrinkles they want to remove and the results they want to achieve.
First, there are two types of wrinkles: dynamic and static. Dynamic wrinkles are those that appear when you make facial expressions. On the other hand, static wrinkles are fine lines that show up even if your face is at rest. Unfortunately, Botox can’t fix static wrinkles; dermal fillers can.
Also, we have to understand what results you want to achieve. If you want to restore lost volume on your cheeks and lips, dermal fillers like Juvederm are the answer. It’s because Botox only paralyzes the muscles where it’s injected. It can’t add any volume to your face.
How long does Juvederm last?
If you’ve decided to try Juvederm fillers, you’re probably wondering, how long it will last. Well, it depends on the type you’re getting.
Juvederm usually comes in four major formulations: Ultra, Vollure, Volbella, and Voluma. Below, we discussed a quick rundown of how long each of these fillers lasts.
1. Juvederm Ultra
Juvederm Ultra is the one used for wrinkles and fine lines, specifically under the eyes and around the mouth. Also, it can be used for lip augmentation.
So how long does Juvederm last in lips and wrinkles? You’ll enjoy the benefits for about 6 to 12 months. During this time, you’ll see a significant improvement in your wrinkles, but remember that the actual length will vary per person.
How about Juvederm Ultra XC? It’s actually the same with Ultra, except that XC is preloaded with lidocaine, a numbing agent. This way, when the filler is injected, you’ll feel less discomfort. But in terms of longevity, it doesn’t have any effect.
2. Juvederm Vollure
Juvederm Vollure is used for moderate to severe facial wrinkles that Ultra can’t treat. You can get this for your nasolabial folds (smile lines) and marionette lines (mouth and chin lines).
With this filler, you can expect the results to last for 18 months. You’ll get longer benefits compared to Ultra and it also works on deeper facial contours. However, some people may experience shorter effects due to several factors (more on this below).
3. Juvederm Volbella
Juvederm Volbella is exclusively used for lip augmentation and smoothing your vertical lip lines, also called ‘smoker’s lines’. It can also boost the appearance of your perioral area or the region around your mouth.
As for its longevity, Volbella can give you excellent results for 12 months. You’ll enjoy a fuller and more defined lip line without getting surgery.
Still, as with any type of filler, this must be administered only by licensed injectors. This is to ensure that you’ll get natural-looking results.
4. Juvederm Voluma
Juvederm Voluma is used to restore or add volume to a person’s face. You can get this if you want to enhance the contours of your face and revive the plump look of your cheeks.
How long does Juvederm Voluma last? For this, you’ll get up to 2 years of fuller-looking cheeks. This is the same with Voluma XC, which is mixed with a numbing agent as we’ve mentioned earlier.
Signs that your Juvederm treatments are fading away
Now that you know the average length of Juvederm effects, it’s also important to know when it starts to fade. This way, you can get touch-ups before you lose all the results. Here are the tell-tale signs you should look for:
- Wrinkles and folds reappear. The hyaluronic acid in Juvederm will break down naturally over time, so you may notice the return of your wrinkles and facial folds. Take note that these could be the same wrinkles you treated or the new ones that have formed.
- Loss of volume. If you get Juvederm Voluma, you’ll start noticing its effects fading away if your face is losing volume. As the filler dissipates, you’ll see the fullness of your face getting less and less over time.
- Uneven texture. As Juvederm breaks down, you may notice changes in the texture of your skin. You’ll notice that the treated areas are less smooth than usual and it may appear more uneven. If you don’t get touch-ups, the natural dissipation of the filler will affect the symmetry of your face.
- Decreased duration. If you’ve had Juvederm injections before, you may notice that the longevity of results becomes shorter over time. It means that your body is metabolizing the filler faster and you may need frequent touch-up treatments to maintain your desired results.
Factors that affect how long Juvederm last
You have to understand that each body is different and so is its reaction to fillers like Juvederm. So if you notice that you’re getting shorter results than others, the following could be the reasons why:
- Metabolism. Your body’s metabolism affects how fast dermal fillers will break down over time. This means that if you have a fast metabolism, Juvederm fillers will also dissipate quickly. When that happens, you’ll get shorter results and will need frequent touch-ups.
- Treatment area. The treatment area will also affect how long Juvederm lasts. For example, areas on your face that move frequently like your lips or nasolabial folds will experience shorter results. It’s because the constant movement speeds up the breakdown of the filler.
- Product formulation. As we discussed earlier, Juvederm comes in different formulations. Each formulation provides results in different durations. Overall, it ranges anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.
- Amount of filler used. You may think that using large doses of Juvederm may give longer results, but it’s the total opposite. Actually, getting a very large dose of fillers at once will just lead to a faster breakdown. This is why injectors opt for smaller doses and frequent sessions for a longer-lasting effect.
- Individual lifestyle. Your diet and habits will also impact how long your Juvederm results will last. For example, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and prolonged sun exposure will damage your skin. In the long run, this will reduce the effectiveness of dermal fillers.
- Follow-up treatments. Lastly, following your treatment plan will help increase the longevity of your fillers. Your provider will advise about the dosage and number of sessions you need based on the results you want to achieve.
How does it impact Juvederm cost?
The longevity of results will directly impact the total price of your Juvederm treatments. Basically, the shorter the results, the more frequent your touch-ups will be, which will add up in cost later on.
Aside from that, you have to factor in the size of your treatment area. Bigger areas like the cheeks will need more doses, which means you have to pay more. And if you get short results, the total Juvederm costs will be higher.
To help assess how much you’ll need to shell out, you should ask for a quote from your preferred facility. They can give you an exact price tag, which will help you budget and schedule your succeeding treatments.
Just to give you an idea, the average Juvederm cost per syringe is $800 on most med spas. At the same time, a lip augmentation session will need around half to one syringe of fillers per session. It’s best to consult your provider to know exactly how much Juvederm will cost.
How to make your Juvederm benefits last longer
While Juvederm fillers – or any filler for that matter – aren’t meant to last forever, there are ways to stretch their effects. Here are some important steps you should take:
- Protect your skin from sun exposure. Ultraviolet (UV) rays are not just harmful to your skin, they will also speed up the breakdown of your facial fillers. So when going out, you should always put on a broad-spectrum sunscreen and wear protective accessories like hats or sunglasses.
- Follow a healthy skincare routine. You can’t expect fillers to do all the work in keeping your youthful look. You should also maintain a healthy routine, which includes cleansing, moisturizing, and hydrating your skin.
- Stay hydrated. Increasing your water intake can do wonders for your skin. Hydration plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy skin. Drink plenty of water each day to keep your skin hydrated from within.
- Consider maintenance treatments. If you want to enjoy the effects of dermal fillers for as long as possible, you should get regular touch-up treatments. This way, you can sustain the results before it starts to dissipate.
Do you want to get the most out of dermal fillers?
If administered by skilled hands, dermal fillers like Juvederm can give you amazing and natural-looking results. And if you want to enjoy these benefits, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Pure Skin Laser Center.
At our medical spa, you’ll get a free one-on-one consultation to assess your desired results and skin type. Our specialist will also ensure that Juvederm is the right choice for you.
Above all, we are with you throughout your beauty journey. We will create a custom treatment plan to ensure that you’ll enjoy the best results for as long as possible.