Skin tags are harmless growth on the skin. Still, many individuals want to remove them for cosmetic and comfort reasons. Fortunately, there are multiple methods available on how to remove skin tags. This includes laser treatments, which are becoming more and more popular over the years.
In this post, we will discuss how laser treatments work for skin tags and if it’s the right solution for you.
What are skin tags?
Skin tags are skin-colored growth typically found on the armpits, neck, face, and groin. It can also grow on skin folds due to regular friction. It also varies in size, which can be a few millimeters to centimeters wide.
Experts don’t exactly know the cause behind skin tags. The good news is that these unusual skin growths pose no serious threat.
Contrary to misconceptions, skin tags are not a form or cause of skin cancer. Also, it’s not likely to trigger other skin conditions.
But as much as these tags are non-threatening, they can cause minor problems. Tags located near the armpit may rub on clothes and cause pain. Meanwhile, those around the neck may get caught on necklaces and bleed.
Also, skin tags can affect a person’s confidence, especially if it’s located on the face.
Some people are more likely to grow skin tags than others. Here are risk factors that would increase your susceptibility to having skin tags
- Obesity or being overweight
- Human papilloma virus (HPV) infection
- Having family members with skin tags
- Imbalance in sex hormones
In this case, a person can explore several options to get rid of skin tags. Below, we discussed these options and how each one works.
Skin tag removal methods
Skin tag removal is a common procedure. It’s often called a ‘lunchtime treatment’ since it’s done in less than an hour and has no recovery time needed.
If you’re exploring your options, the following are the safe methods for skin tags and mole removal:
- Surgery. The doctor numbs the area and then snips the skin tag off. Depending on the size of the tag, it may require stitches.
- Litigation. A surgical thread is tied on the peduncle or stalk of the skin tag. This will cut off the blood supply to the blood vessels, which will kill its cells and eventually fall off.
- Cauterization. The skin tag is removed by using heat tools such as laser beams. Patients will usually require several sessions to fully remove the skin tag.
- Cryosurgery. Unlike cauterization which uses heat, cryosurgery uses freezing kits containing liquid nitrogen. Once the skin tag is frozen, it will die and fall off.
- Home remedies. The likes of tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, and dental floss are widely used to remove skin tags at home. While it may work for some, it poses a risk of infection among other dangers. It’s best to have your skin tags removed in a medical setting.
How does laser skin tag removal work?
Laser treatments to remove skin tag is less intimidating than it sounds. Here at Pure Skin Laser Center, we use the Candela GentleMax Pro. It’s an FDA-approved laser technology that will target skin tags to the roots.
The laser beams will be converted into heat, which will neutralize the skin tag cells. This will create microscopic wounds on the skin tag to trigger skin healing. As the skin heals, the laser-treated skin tag will fall off.
Depending on the size and number of skin tags, it may take a few sessions to achieve the best results. Larger skin tags will typically need at least 3 sessions to fully remove the growth.
The best part is that this treatment will not leave scars if done right. In fact, the GentleMax Pro is also used to eliminate scar tissue.
Overall, skin tags will not grow back after it’s been removed through laser. Still, it’s possible that you’ll grow new ones near or in the same area because you’re predisposed to it. Experts say that skin tags might be ‘running in the family’.
Aside from removing a skin tag, you can also enhance the skin surrounding it. Our laser treatment is very versatile. It can be used to remove unwanted hairs, scars, sun spots, and more.
Potential side effects of laser skin tag removal
If done by a board-certified practitioner, laser skin tag removal won’t have serious side effects. Most of our skin tag removal patients only experience mild discomfort.
After your laser treatment, you should expect these potential side effects:
- Mild redness in the treated area
- Slight discomfort
- Temporary change in skin color on the treated area
Infections are very unlikely since skin tags are quite small. Our nurses will also advise you about the proper aftercare to avoid this potential problem.
Most of the side effects mentioned above resolve in a few hours. It’s also manageable by using over-the-counter medications.
Why is laser removal better?
While other medical solutions to skin tags also work, laser treatments have a fair advantage.
First, it doesn’t have downtimes. It’s done in less than 30 minutes, which is faster than other skin tag treatments. With this, you can schedule the treatment during lunchtime – no need to miss a work day.
Moreover, laser treatments are more comfortable for patients scared of knives. No incision will be done, so healing is faster and there’s no intense pain involved.
Above all, laser treatments are a long-term solution with the least discomfort. In most cases, it’s cheaper than surgery, depending on where you’re going for the treatment.
Laser skin tag removal aftercare
Overall, aftercare for skin tag removal is fairly simple. These steps will ensure that you’re reaping the best results in every treatment.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Keep it clean. You should rinse the treated area with soap and water at least twice a day. Avoid using hydrogen peroxide unless you’re instructed by the specialist.
- Cover the wound. If your clothes rub on the treated area, you can cover it with a thin layer of petroleum jelly. A bandage will also do.
- Keep it dry. The treated area will heal faster if kept dry. This will also prevent the risk of infection.
- Don’t touch it too much. Avoid touching the treated area unless you have to clean it.
- Consider further sessions. If you want efficient skin tag removal, you should consider finishing the treatment program the specialist recommended. This ensures that the skin tag won’t grow back or become uncomfortable
- Avoid too much sun exposure. If you have skin tags removed from your face, you must keep them away from too much sunlight. Wear sunscreen or use an umbrella whenever you’re going out on a sunny day.
Let us remove your skin tags safely
Skin tag removal is a low-risk procedure. Still, it’s important that you only trust licensed and certified specialists to ensure your safety.
Here at Pure Skin Laser Center, we offer FDA-approved and effective laser skin tag removal. Our board-certified nurses will develop a treatment program that suits your needs. Rest assured that you’ll get rid of skin tags with minimal discomfort and zero downtime.
Don’t let skin tags ruin your confidence. Call us and we will help you achieve flawless skin at a very competitive price. Our specialists are waiting for you!